Pages

Sunday, February 5, 2017

Keeping it Real



Nutrition fads come and go, but I've found that the easiest way to eat healthy is to focus on eating real (meaning unprocessed) food. And the easiest way to stock up on real food is to head to the nearest farmers market.

When I first moved to the Bay Area in 2010, I rented an apartment in Mountain View across from the Caltrain station. I had never before had such easy access to a farmers market. Almost every Sunday, I would take a five minute walk to the station parking lot and grab whatever produce was in season (and eat my weight's worth in free samples).  We had an amazing peach season that year, and when winter rolled around I was surprised to learn that citrus is amazing in January. By sticking to what's in season, I can generally avoid icky dried out oranges, and white-ish tasteless strawberries.



This month I'm enjoying the Kale & Quinoa Salad with Dates, Almonds & Citrus Dressing recipe, from thekitchn.com. The kale and mandarin oranges on the ingredient list are currently in season, and the onion, almonds, garlic, and even dates can also be currently found at the farmers market.



No comments:

Post a Comment